Lijiang, Yunnan, South-West China
Along with Dali, Lijiang is one of the most popular locations for visitors to Yunnan in South-West China, attracted by the colourful streets of the Old Town. Many foreign visitors set out from here for hikes in the mountains to the west, in the foothills of the Himalayas. It was our "base camp" for a hiking trip to Tiger Leaping Gorge, and a day's cycling in the countryside. Others go on to Zhongdian, 200km north, now being officially promoted as the location of "Shangri-la". Walking around the old town is an experience in itself. Among the shops you can buy walking gear, and there are operators organising hiking trips.
Like many other tourist towns, Lijiang has a clear divide between the historic Old Town (a World Heritiage Site) and the modern town. We took walks around the narrow old streets and up to a great viewpoint on our final day.
- I'll remember most the view over the roofs of the Old Town
- The best bit was seeing the people in traditional dress in the square
- The worst bit was suffering the first bout of tummy troubles
- The funniest aspect was the hawker who sang Scottish songs to us at our restaurant
- Our hotel was built in traditional style - and was very cheap!
- A particularly relaxing spot was the cafe overlooking the town, run by a young musician
- I didn't know what to expect here - it was a magical place to visit, despite the commercialisation
- Particularly noticeable is the new tourism development
- Some reflections on being a tourist in China are in the Lijiang Old Town story
Contributed by Andrew Llanwarne
(To order the stories by name, date, country or type click on the appropriate heading)
|Lijiang Old Town walks, Yunnan, South-West China (part 2)||China||Town and City walks||11/12/2007|
|Baisha cycle ride from Lijiang, Yunnan, south-west China||China||Countryside and easy hill walks||21/09/2006|
|Lijiang Old Town walks, Yunnan, South-West China||China||Town and City walks||21/09/2006|
|The Two Sisters of Tiger Leaping Gorge||China||High hills and mountain hikes||20/09/2006|
|Tiger Leaping Gorge, Yunnan, China - Day Two||China||High hills and mountain hikes||20/09/2006|
|Tiger Leaping Gorge day one, Yunnan, China||China||High hills and mountain hikes||19/09/2006|