This was one of those unique, momentous events that I’ll never forget. A very long climb through the night, first on our own then with a cast of thousands! We were rewarded with spectacular views at dawn, as we descended. A day of effort, exhaustion and elation!
- The best bit for me was when the clouds opened up to give us a wonderful view just after dawn..
- The worst bit was feeling cold and exhausted, queuing to get to the summit in the dark.
- The funniest bit was the zig-zag line of tired multicoloured walkers descending.
- A word of warning for other walkers would be to take enough warm clothing even if hiking during the day, and enough torch batteries if hiking at night.
- Scary bits? The pitch blackness of the forests was a bit unnerving.
- I didn’t expect to be eating chicken curry on the summit at 4 a.m.!
Read the full story with lots of photos
Contributed by: Andrew Llanwarne
The uplifting view over the clouds, just after dawn
|| Climbed from Fujiyoshida, one of several starting points
|When it was walked
|| July 2003
||High hills and mountains
|| Path all the way, but it is a long climb requiring plenty of stamina
||27 km (17 miles)
|Height climbed approx
||3000 m (10,000 ft)
|Time taken approx
||11 hrs up, 3 hrs down (to 5th stage)
|Map used if any
||Free maps from Tourist Office
|Source of info on walk
|| Fujiyoshida tourist guide map, Guide map of Mt Fuji, Lonely Planet guide
|| Bus from Shinjuku bus station in Tokyo, 21/2 hours to Fujiyoshida
|Places to stay
||Huts along the route, or towns at the base.
|Places to eat/ buy food
||Shops and restaurants in Fujiyoshida
|Any other local attractions or facilities
||The Fuji Five Lakes around the northern side of the mountain, for views and walking