About Walking Stories
What is Walking Stories? It's a website where people can share their walking experiences with each other, and learn about new places. It's a virtual campfire or water cooler, where you can swap advice, anecdotes, and amusing events. It's a community in the making, for people who find pleasure and build friendships through walking.
How often have you arrived at a new destination and thought that there must be some good hiking nearby, but didn't know where to begin? Or maybe you've discovered a hidden route that you'd be happy to share with others. The site will expand to cover many holiday destinations and major cities as well as remoter places around the globe.
What's different about this site?
Mount Teide and the Roques de Garcia, Tenerife
- The site combines two key elements of the human experience – walking and storytelling
- It DOESN'T try to provide detailed routes – but helps you to find these
- It brings together stories by walkers, for walkers
- It's not restricted to the hardy mountaineers, or long distance trekkers – but both will find company here
- It covers everything from short walks in town centres and country parks, to ambitious alpine hikes
- In time, it will carry a growing range of services and benefits for members
- It aims to support conservation activity benefiting wildlife, walkers and local communities.
YOU can help to shape the site by contributing your favourite walking stories and photos, posting questions, and offering hints and tips to others. Tell us how the site could be improved.
Everyone's experiences and ideas are welcome. You – and your family – can become a visible part of the site if you wish, and see your stories published. And there's even a corner for younger walkers to swap their best (and worst) walking moments.
Hiking Highlights page > provides an introduction to the site for new visitors
Who set it up and why? > tells the story of the creation of the website
Website Story> - latest site news and developments, plus archive from the beginning.