This was one of those unique, momentous events that I’ll never forget. A very long climb through the night, first on our own then with a cast of thousands! We were rewarded with spectacular views at dawn, as we descended. A day of effort, exhaustion and elation!
- The best bit for me was when the clouds opened up to give us a wonderful view just after dawn..
- The worst bit was feeling cold and exhausted, queuing to get to the summit in the dark.
- The funniest bit was the zig-zag line of tired multicoloured walkers descending.
- The biggest surprise was when Catriona met someone she knew, on the way up
- A word of warning for other walkers would be to take enough warm clothing even if hiking during the day, and enough torch batteries if hiking at night.
- Scary bits? The pitch blackness of the forests was a bit unnerving.
- I didn’t expect to be eating chicken curry on the summit at 4 a.m.!
Contributed by Andrew Llanwarne< Back to Japan page for links to other stories
|Location||Climbed from Fujiyoshida, one of several starting points|
|Date walked||July 2003|
|Walk type||High hills and mountain hikes|
|Difficulty||Path all the way, but it is a long climb requiring plenty of stamina|
|Distance||27 km (17 miles)|
|Height climbed||3000 m (10,000 ft)|
|Time taken||14 hrs 0 mins|
|Map used||Free maps from Tourist Office|
|Walk source info||Fujiyoshida tourist guide map, Guide map of Mt Fuji, Lonely Planet guide|
|Getting there||Bus from Shinjuku bus station in Tokyo, 21/2 hours to Fujiyoshida|
|Places to stay||Huts along the route, or towns at the base.|
|Other features||The Fuji Five Lakes around the northern side of the mountain, for views and walking|