This popular location can easily be visited just off the main Edinburgh bypass at the Straiton Junction. Rosslyn Chapel is justifiably famous as an ancient Christian place of workship with remarkable stone carvings, now brought to world-wide attention by the popularity of Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code and the final scenes in the film of the book.
A visit there can be combined with a short leisurely walk in Roslin Glen, stopping to see Rosslyn Castle and calling in at one of the hotels in Roslin Village for refreshment. Longer hikes are also possible in and around the Glen, to Rosewell or Dryden Tower, and there are hiking routes in the Pentland Hills nearby. Shopping enthusiasts can take in Ikea and the other outlets at Straiton Retail Park.
- I will remember most the remarkable stone carvings in Rosslyn Chapel - the particular details on every column and corner
- The best bit was managing to return to walk in Roslin Glen in sunny weather
- The worst bit was the weather on the first visit to the Chapel
- The funniest bit was the sign for the Da Vinci Horse Manure
- It was amazing to hear how the visitor numbers have shot up
- It was fascinating afterwards to see how the chapel and the castle appear in the film of "The Da Vinci Code", and the stories and captions have been updated to take this into account.
Contributed by: Andrew Llanwarne - April & May 2006
|Location||Roslin village, Midlothian, near Edinburgh|
|Date walked||April 2006|
|Walk type||Countryside and easy hill walks|
|Difficulty||Suitable for anyone who enjoys an easy walk|
|Distance||As short or long as you wish - only a few hundred metres for the chapel; several km of trails in and around the Glen|
|Height climbed||Maybe 50 m (160 ft) from the Glen to the Chapel|
|Time taken||2 hrs 0 mins|
|Map used||In the Explore Midlothian booklet|
|Walk source info||Explore Midlothian booklet|
|Getting there||We drove from a Guest House near Lasswade. Reached via the A701 road to Penicuik, 3 miles / 5 km from the Straiton junction on the A720 Edinburgh bypass. Buses to Roslin are the Lothian 15A (hourly), First 141 and 62. Information from Lothian Buses on 0131 555 6363 and First Edinburgh on 08708 727271.|
|Places to stay||Hotels in Roslin, Carlethan Guest House at Lasswade, and lots of other places in the vicinity|
|Other features||Location for "The Da Vinci Code" book and film. Pentland Hills Regional Park about 3 miles / 5km to the west. Centre of Edinburgh about 8 miles / 13 km to the north.|