The first half-day of the 7-day Lemosho Route, walking up through the Lemosho Glades and the dense cloud forest that cloaks the lower slopes of Kilimanjaro. This walk followed a long drive from Arusha, much of it on bumpy unsurfaced roads which even the 4x4 vehicles found tricky. Another group of walkers from Manchester set off at the same time.
- I'll remember most the sheer size of the forest which we walked through
- The best bit was seeing Colobus monkeys after the walk
- The worst bits were the long drive, and later the first cold night in a tent
- The funniest bit was when the vehicles got stuck and everyone got involved in trying to pull them out
- We didn't spot any elephants or buffalos during the walk - just a pile of poo!
- We were all impressed by the porters, hurrying past us with their heavy loads
- There are no words of warning - there was no sharp grass to contend with!
Contributed by Andrew Llanwarne< Back to Tanzania page for links to other stories
|Location||Starting from the south-eastern corner of the Kilimanjaro National Park, after checking in at the Londorossi Gate|
|Date walked||5 September 2007|
|Walk type||Longer Walks and Treks|
|Difficulty||Requires plenty of stamina|
|Time taken||2 hrs 30 mins|
|Map used||EWP Map and Guide to Kilimanjaro|
|Walk source info||Via the tour operator - Africa Travel Resource - and the Cicerone Guide to Kilimanjaro by Alexander Stewart|
|Getting there||By Land Rover from Moivaro Lodge, Arusha - around 4 hours' drive|
|Places to stay||1st night's stop at Big Tree Camp|