Another shorter day's walking, taking us across the stony volcanic desert, with short climbs at the start and finish. This took us up to the Barafu Hut, our highest point so far at 4600m, to join other walkers gathering for the final assault on the summit of Kilimanjaro. We had our first view of Mawenzi, the second peak of Kilimanjaro.
- I'll remember this most for the feeling that we were getting near to our goal, and we only had a few hours' rest at Barafu before the final climb starting at midnight!
- The best bit was our first sight of Mazenzi from Barafu, its jagged shape contrasting with the broad bulk of Kibo
- The worst bit was being unable to get much sleep in the afternoon and evening
- The funniest bit was hearing about the other group with their portable shower!
- A word of warning is to take care when visiting the (good quality) toilets, perched on the edge of the Barafu cliff!
Contributed by Andrew Llanwarne< Back to Tanzania page for links to other stories
|Location||5th day of the Lemosho Route up Kilimanjaro, reaching the Barafu Hut at 4600m|
|Date walked||9 September 2007|
|Walk type||Longer Walks and Treks|
|Difficulty||Requires good stamina and adjustment to altitude|
|Time taken||3 hrs 30 mins|
|Map used||EWP Map and Guide to Kilimanjaro|
|Walk source info||Via the tour operator - Africa Travel Resource - and the Cicerone Guide to Kilimanjaro by Alexander Stewart|