The climax of the trek! A midnight start, walking, then climbing over rocks, then trudging, pole pole (slowly slowly) in the dark up the frozen volcanic scree, fighting against the tiredness from altitude and lack of sleep. The party had to be split up, but 4 out of 5 of us made it to the top, to see magnificent views as the sun rose and lit up the glaciated scenery. Then we had a dusty descent back to Barafu camp for a rest, before a two-hour walk down to the Millennium Camp down amongst the tree heathers.
- I'll remember this most for the wonderful walk along the icy summit ridge in the early morning sunshine
- The best bit was getting to Stella Point, on the crater rim - then we were sure we would reach the summit itself.
- The other best bit was having a celebratory beer down at Millennium Camp - our first since setting out
- The worst bit was that 2-hour spell from 3-5 a.m. when we were all cold and tired and doubtful if we could make it
- Words of warning - you'll feel like you just want to give up, but keep going, you'll get there eventually - but if you have a bad headache and become unsteady, it's time to turn back.
Contributed by Andrew Llanwarne< Back to Tanzania page for links to other stories
|Location||Sixth day of Lemosho Route on Kilimanjaro, up to the summit and then halfway down|
|Date walked||10 September 2007|
|Walk type||Longer Walks and Treks|
|Difficulty||Very tough, requires stamina, determination and acclimatisation to the high altitude|
|Time taken||12 hrs|
|Map used||EWP Map and Guide to Kilimanjaro|
|Walk source info||Via the tour operator - Africa Travel Resource - and the Cicerone Guide to Kilimanjaro by Alexander Stewart|