One of the "must see" visitor attractions in Slovakia is Spis Castle (Spissky Hrad in Slovakian), situated mid-way just south of the E50 road between Poprad and Presov. It's on a scale comparable to Salzburg or Edinburgh castles, but is now in ruins.
We were staying at Aqua City in Poprad and it took us under an hour to drive there (about 41km or 26 miles). Soon it will be even faster as the E50 is being rebuilt. After a walk up the hill we had an enjoyable walk around the castle and saw a sword fight before we walked back down to the car park.
We were able to combine the castle visit with lunch in Levoca and a short walk there, before returning to Poprad.
- I'll remember most the way little Ailsa climbed up that hill!
- The best bit was seeing the castle on the hilltop with the wild flowers across the hillside
- We enjoyed seeing a potter at work and bought lovely bowls as souvenirs
- It was fun as well to see some of the wildlife in the castle grounds
- We were puzzled by some of the other artworks on display in the castle
Contributed by Andrew Llanwarne< Back to Slovakia (Slovak Rep) page for links to other stories
|Location||Above Spisske Podhradie, near the E50 between Poprad and Presov in northern Slovakia|
|Date walked||26 June 2008|
|Walk type||Countryside and easy hill walks|
|Difficulty||Suitable for anyone of reasonable fitness able to cope with a short, fairly steep hill walk up and down|
|Distance||2 km (1.5 miles)|
|Height climbed||200m (650 ft) approx|
|Time taken||3 hrs|
|Map used||General road atlas|
|Getting there||By car from Poprad - also close if staying at Levoca, 15 km to the west. It can also be reached by train, via Spisske Vlachy,or by bus from Levoca and Poprad.|
|Places to stay||In Poprad, Levoca, Presov, and local villages|