There are two famous snow mountains at Tiger Leaping Gorge. They are like sisters the local people told me, there’s a story about them they said.
We began our walk from Qiaotou, then finished this trip taking the Old Ferry, across the river to Daju. It was the evening before the Chinese Spring Festival, so people charged double the price to cross the river so we refused and we wanted to go to the other ferry. Then we met people who lived near the Haba Snow Mountain, the son of the family, we went with him to live with his family for three days and climbed the mountain, and the next day we visited Baishuitai, Then we got the old ferry to Daju and returned to Lijiang.
- Best thing about this walk – coming here makes you think deeply about your life and your job.
- No “worst” thing – it is perfect in my memory!
- Other memorable things – there were no man-made steps, and the people are very friendly, wherever you are from.
- if staying with a local family, agree the price first, and there could be bed bugs!
- Watch out for overcharging on the ferries especially at festival time
- Take a torch and batteries if walking the gorge in the winter - you may have to find your way in the dark.
Contributed by: Gong Ying< Back to China page for links to other stories
|Date walked||January 2004|
|Walk type||High hills and mountain hikes|
|Difficulty||Requires mountaineering skills and lots of stamina|
|Distance||About 40 km|
|Time taken||6 day(s) 0 hrs 0 mins|
|Map used||Sketch map|
|Getting there||Bus from Lijiang to Qiaotou|
|Places to stay||Several guest houses and a private home|
|Other features||7 days trek|