This is not really a walking story, but it's a good story, so it's worth including. And we did have a walk around Baisha village where we bumped into Doctor Ho (no, not "Doctor Who"), made famous by Michael Palin's "Himalaya" BBC TV programme just a few months previously.
This was a day's bike ride from Lijiang, taking us through the suburbs of the expanding tourist centre before crossing the open plain along a busy highway, then through a string of villages to the slopes of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. Although it's a long story, it was an entertaining trip, and there are lots of great photos!
- I'll remember most our meeting with Doctor Ho, but "Robin Hood" came a close second!
- The best bit was the musical entertainment in the centre of Baisha
- The worst bit was having to turn back as we were climbing the slopes of the mountain
- The funniest aspect was "Robin Hood " playing a tune on his flute for us
- This was a reminder that a long cycle ride can be uncomfortable - but it gets you further than walking!
- This took us into the real Chinese countryside for the first time, and through some typical villages
- We noticed particularly the new tourism developments along the way
- A useful tip when visiting Yunnan - take some family photos with you
- Also remember to read the guidebook before you go, so you don't miss some of the highlights.
< Back to China page for links to other stories
|Location||About 10 km (6 miles) north of Lijiang In Yunnan, South-West China|
|Date walked||June 2005|
|Walk type||Countryside and easy hill walks|
|Difficulty||Suitable for anyone who enjoys an easy walk, but the bike ride required quite an effort in the hot sun.|
|Distance||32km / 20miles|
|Time taken||6 hrs 0 mins|
|Map used||Map on a slip of paper from the bike hire guest house - map from outdoor shop was no use|
|Walk source info||Lonely Planet guide advised Baisha one of the best excursions from Lijiang|
|Getting there||Bike from Lijiang (see also Lijiang story)|
|Places to stay||Wide choice of guest houses and hotels in Lijiang old town - maybe some guest houses in Baisha?|
|Other features||Dr Ho's surgery; views of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain (with the highest chairlift in Asia)|